Thursday, February 25, 2010

Book of Eli Review

Share
I'm a soul man! Get it?!


Pros: Very cool story, great post apocolyptic theme, great protagonist. 
Cons: Closed minded folk may belittle this film, some of the acting was a bit bland, you need a lot of faith to believe some of what goes on.

I'm going to admit it, I love post apocalyptic themes. It ranks up there with zombies. I have no clue why, but I am totally anamored by them. Does this cause any bias? Possibly, but I think as long as you are open minded you'll agree this is a pretty awesome movie.

If any of you have played Fallout 3, it will seem all too familiar. There were scenes of dialogue where I just felt like I should be picking out what Eli was saying from below the screen. The movie did have a bit of an artsy feel to it, which kind of made me nervous because I couldn't sit through two hours of art film, sorry art kids.

Now, some of the actors could've been replaced, I think I could've done better! The cliches are pretty strong here, but pay a little homage to A Boy and His Dog in there. I think this might be a way for the director to poke fun at the cliches they're using. The action was pretty mediocre, but I'm glad they didn't jam constant action down my throat. Well played Eli, well played.

I don't want to spoil this little film for you, at all. Just go in with an open mind and you'll find a pretty pleasurable experience. Hell I would have even payed normal ticket prices to see this and I'm a cheap bastard. Just enjoy the badass Eli and the little adventure he takes you on. The ending is going to either shock you or piss you off, but at this point I was so immersed in the film that I didn't care.

Final Score: 9/10

No comments:

Post a Comment